The Virtual Institute for Mathematical and Statistical Sciences (VI-MSS)
The Virtual Institute of Mathematical and Statistical Sciences is a new partnership that connects two of the US Mathematical Sciences Institutes (SAMSI and ICERM) with several mathematics and statistics institutes in India: The Indian Statistical Institute (ISI), Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI), the Indian Institute of Science (IIS), The Institute of Mathematical Sciences (IMSc), the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research (IISER) Pune and the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR). VI-MSS will sponsor joint workshops, research visitors and graduate educational activities with support from the US National Science Foundation. It is part of a broader NSF initiative known as SAVI (Science Across Virtual Institutes - http://www.nsf.gov/news/special_reports/savi/program.jsp).
As part of this initiative, SAMSI held four activities:
- A workshop on Astrostatistics was held at SAMSI during September, 2012, and brought together astrophysicists and statisticians to brainstorm on advanced topics in statistical inference in the context of modern empirical astrophysics. The program for the workshop is here.
- A workshop on Topics in Probability was held December 18-20, 2012, at the Chennai Mathematical Institute (CMI). This workshop consisted of twelve to fifteen one hour lectures spanning a broad range of topics of current interest in Probability. Approximately half of the speakers were from U.S. Universities and the other half from Universities in India. More information can be found here.
- A workshop on Environmental Statistics was held at SAMSI on March 4-6, 2013, bringing together leading researchers from both India and the US. More information can be found here.
- A workshop on Statistical Methods for Bioinformatics was held December 12-14, 2013, at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bangalore. This workshop consisted of lectures given by leading researchers from U.S. Universities and Indian Universities. More information can be found here.
Upcoming IISER/SAMSI Workshop in Pune, India: May 25-30, 2015: Indo-US Workshop on Time Series Analysis
VI-MSS Steering Committee
SAVI Participant Logos
- Jill Pipher, (ICERM)
- Govind Menon, (ICERM)
- Richard Smith, (SAMSI)
- Amarjit Budhiraja, (SAMSI)
- R. Balasubramanian, Director, (IMSc Chennai)
- Rajeeva Karandikar, Director, (CMI Chennai)
- G. Rangarajan, (Dept of Mathematics IISc Bangalore)
- Bimal Roy, Director, (ISI Kolkata)